Saturday, October 22, 2016

Me: A Name I Call Myself

It's 5.34 and I'm only awake enough to write one sentence. 


6.25 an hour ish later and after breakfast and my brain is now at least half functioning enough to write more than a sentence. We're about to get our 6.45 taxis to the theatre. 

It was a long day at work today, another 12 hour day. We've got a 3 show day at one of the biggest schools I've seen.  As we walked in to set up the set last night, the school had to screens in reception that would show a child's school headshot photo and their exam results of the last test they took next to it! 
We're also filming for a short advertisement clip for the Book festival in Sharjah next week. The last show is at 1 then we have to go to Sharjah, about 40 mins away, to do a full get in and set up the floor cloth, video screen, put chairs put, costumes, props and lights.  

... I'm always really dramatic about how much energy the show takes but as Tinkerbell, I don't speak and have to Mime nearly everything. Tinkerbell is also the comedic character of the show and I have to throw myself off set, give an Oscar award winning performance of me drinking poison and dying, then give an Oscar award winning performance of coming back to life etc.. It takes A LOT of energy and I have to create that before I start the show otherwise the audience don't get emotionally attached to Tinkerbell which means when she dies later on in the show they're less likely to get as involved when bringing her back to life as it means the audience clapping/cheering/stamping until Tinkerbell is full of life again! 

.. A few days off and we come back into work with a 4 show day. I thought 3 was tiring! Waking up at 5am and getting back to the apartments at 6pm is draining. It took us so long to get to the next theatre and drop off all the set/costumes and everything else. But if there is a positive to come out of all of this, the amount we sweat must be doing something for our figure!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Alana - miming and movement have such a rich tradition in the theatre - your explanation of your part and the energy resonates in your description/analysis as it must with your audience. The fairy or supernatural characters are also classic. Also you bring up promotion in the theatre - this blog is packed! and could be compared to all of the themes in M1.

    ReplyDelete